Nomad Atomics is on a mission to make the broad uptake of quantum sensing a reality and simultaneously push the limits of our field beyond what we think is possible. We are building the world’s most advanced fit-for-purpose quantum sensors to allow us to see the world like never before.
Our team is made up of leaders in the quantum sensing field. We believe the time for commercial quantum sensing has come, and we are determined with making it happen.
We are growing here at Nomad Atomics – FAST. We are searching for people who want to finally take the commercial sensing game into the modern era of technology.
Who you are
You are a voracious learner, and you love building things. You do not shy away from taking on the impossible. You apply these principles to all parts of science and engineering and are excited to operate at the forefront of technology development. You are an expert in your field and are ready to jump headfirst into the strange world of quantum sensing.
It’s ok if you don’t have all the skills yet to build a quantum sensor, because you want to work with a global team of experts to fill in the gaps. You may have come from a large corporation or be fresh out of university but the idea of working in a fast-paced, highly iterative, and integrated team is exciting.
Working hand in hand with the co-founders and development team, you’ll be responsible for end-to-end design of critical mechanical systems for our deployed quantum sensors and managing our inhouse prototype production facilities. This is an exceptionally hands-on role requiring a broad skill set, including component design, manufacturing, and testing. (These sensors are being used in the field, and we are moving fast.)
You will be engaged daily in tasks like:
- Design, develop and test mechanical components and systems for our quantum sensor products
- Use 3D CAD software to create detailed design drawings and specifications
- Work with physicists, electronic and software engineers, and machinists to integrate mechanical components into the overall system design
- Conduct testing and analysis to ensure that mechanical components meet performance and reliability requirements
- Collaborate with the manufacturing team to ensure that designs can be produced at scale
- Provide guidance and mentorship to junior engineers and technicians
- Maintain a safe and organized machine shop environment
- Assist with the maintenance of deployed sensors
- CNC and manual manufacturing prototype components
It’s not about specifically where you have come from nor what qualifications you have. What truly matters is that you are an impossibly fast learner. The types of things people applying for this role have done prior to Nomad are things like:
- B.Sc or M.Sc in mechanical engineering or related field
- Ideally 4 years of experience designing and prototyping precision mechanical systems
- Proficiency in 3D CAD software (SolidWorks)
- Experience with finite element analysis (FEA) and simulation tools
- Ideally, experience designing flexure components and optomechanical systems
- Ideally, experience designing vacuum systems including, glass metal sealing, vacuum welding, and brazing
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Ideally an intermediate understanding of fluids and thermal dynamics
- Worked in small cross-functional teams solving complex problems
- Experience managing small teams of diverse skill sets
If you think you’re right for the role, but don’t have some of these skills, reach out – we’d love to talk anyway.
The role is full-time and based in Melbourne, Australia.
We have the flexibility to work from home from time to time, but mostly it’s getting your hands dirty in our shiny labs.
We offer a competitive salary, employee share option package and opportunities for professional growth and advancement.