About the company
Milanote is a tool for organizing creative projects. It's used by designers, writers, marketers and other creative professionals from companies like Facebook, Apple, Dropbox, Google, Adobe, Sony, Nike, etc.
We launched four years ago and since then we've reached #1 on Product Hunt (three times!), the front page of Hacker News, and #1 on Designer News—check the threads on each to see the great response. Milanote has also been featured by The Next Web, Lifehacker, etc.
About the role
As an early member of the technical team, you'll have a huge influence over our technology, our product and the company as a whole. This isn't just another development job, it's a chance to get on board at the early stages of a fast-growing startup.
Because we're a small team in an early stage company, we're open minded about who might fill this role. Maybe you're a web developer who lives and breathes the latest frameworks. Or maybe you have years of experience in mobile development but are happy to chip in with some web dev when required. Maybe you're a recent graduate who's a quick learner and is willing to work hard to skill up, or an old hand who's looking for a change of pace from the corporate world.
As long as you're flexible, resourceful and love working with other people to find great solutions, we want to talk to you.
We believe good developers can switch technology easily, so it's not important that you already know all of this stuff. But we do expect you to have strong fundamentals and the ability to learn quickly. We're also open to you showing us a better way of doing things.
- React & Redux (experience with Draft.js / React DnD a bonus)
- Performance (JS profiling, page load, throttling etc.)
- Node / Express
- REST / API Design
Architecture & Infrastructure
Other highly regarded skills/experience
- Strong mathematics
- Experience with functional programming
- iOS development
- The chance to exert huge influence as an early team member of a rising startup.
- An inspiring environment where you can do the best work of your career.
- The satisfaction of working on a great product that people love using.
- A huge amount of variety in terms of technologies used (we're working on a web app, desktop/iOS and Android apps, browser plugins, text editing, manipulating images and video, live collaboration and editing etc etc).
- The freedom to work with the latest technologies, tools, developer-friendly processes and workflows.
- A workplace completely free from politics, bureaucracy and red-tape.
- Equity in the company (via an ESOP) as an early team member.
What's it like working at Milanote?
- The best way to get a feel for what we're like to work with is to take a look at our company values.
- We're currently operating semi-remotely due to COVID-19, so most people spend 2/3 of their time at home and 1/3 at a lovely calm office in Melbourne's CBD (about 2 minutes walk from Flinders St station).
- We have nice plants, nice decor and shared speakers which we take turns playing music on.
- Our team is pretty quiet, but very friendly and welcoming.
- We don't work crazy hours. We don't get drunk on Fridays. When we're in the office we mostly eat lunch together. Every now and then we go out together for a fancy dinner (but you don't have to come if you don't want to).
- Everyone at Milanote gets a credit card. If you need to buy software, books or training courses, you don't need to ask for permission.
- You can wear whatever you like to work.
- About a third of us have kids of various ages, so we're very flexible about things like school drop off, condensed work weeks, flexible start and finish times etc.
- We genuinely believe that diverse teams produce the best work, and we're really committed to creating an inclusive workplace for people from all backgrounds. This is not just a token statement, we really care about this!