Brosa’s mission is to make it simple for Australians to create a home they love and we pride ourselves on delivering fantastic customer experiences. We’re one of Australia’s fastest-growing consumer brands and proud to be making waves in the $14B home & living industry. Founded in Melbourne in 2014, Brosa is backed by Australia’s most prominent and successful Venture Capital funds, including AirTree Ventures and Bailador. We’re a team that’s thriving amid the global economic climate and recently closed a $4M round with strategic investors to help fuel future growth.
Who we are looking for
We’re on the hunt for an Engineering Manager with a great trajectory. You’ll lead the Consumer and Ops Tech teams to deliver rich customer experiences underpinned by highly effective operational systems (from “seamless UX with 3D image rendering & augmented reality” to “optimised last mile delivery”). We prefer this candidate to be based where our HQ is (Melbourne), we’re strong believers of remote-working teams, and we are open to candidates from all across Australia. If you are an Australian who is looking to move back to Melbourne, we are open to that too.
You have 6+ years experience as an individual contributor (“IC”) and 2-3 years of hands-on people development experience.
- Communication. Strong written and verbal communication- you say a lot with a few words. You’re a “master translator” and adapt complex technical explanations to simple concepts for non-technical stakeholders. You’re just as comfortable discussing business strategy as technical architecture. As a flexible thinker, you help reconcile disparate perspectives.
- Engineering Craft. A high bar for quality. You encourage craftsmanship and your teams produce deeply human-centered experiences. You obsess over code quality and have a view on whether an “open brace” should appear on the same line or the next line. Mention the word “Como” in your email to us.
- Judgement. A strong intuition on bang-for-buck that can help the team navigate the ongoing question of “reuse or build”. You’re a staunch believer in componentization but encourage your team to resist over-engineering.
- Raw Output. As an IC, you were never satisfied with “waiting to compile” and this ingrained DNA ensures your team’s output is above the rest. You’ve tried all manner of development process and are constantly seeking to improve the team’s approach.
- Development at Scale. When faced with the presence of a “fire”, you act quickly in the moment then use playbooks to prevent future occurrence. You have a bias to action but lean on process over personal intervention to make things happen.
- People Development. As a believer in servant leadership, you put the voice of direct reports before your own, recognising their need for development.
- Strategic Impact. Help Tech leadership teams derive & execute on a cohesive strategy. As a VC-backed start-up, accountability & impact is key.
- Team Leadership. Manage across two teams & timezones from day one and transform this speedy start-up team into an engineering powerhouse. Attract quality talent into a well-structured future Engineering organisation to support business efforts.
- Technology Vision. Help us innovate through a deep understanding of existing & emergent technologies. Paint a 3-5 year vision for our stack and guide a team working across Vue.js, Laravel, Spree (Rails), & PHP. Not satisfied with the existing stack? Tell us why!
- Code Craft. Act as the Engineering team’s most senior coach and Bar Raiser. Guide your IC leads toward great decisions on architecture & code layout. When faced with a resourcing gap, roll up your sleeves to cover the short-term.
- Infrastructure. Drive AWS scaling & infrastructure efforts by leveraging ICs or through targeted use of off-shore alternatives. In this start-up, your Engineers are the “infra team”.
You’ll oversee engineers & QA working across Brosa’s Consumer & Ops Tech teams in Melbourne / Delhi and be the crucial “third leg” for two leadership teams, alongside Design & Product. As Engineering is a key function in the business, you’ll report to Brosa’s Co-Founder & CPO, David Wei.
At Brosa, we aim to build an exceptional environment to help our team thrive. Our goal is to help our teams produce their best work and find enjoyment in their role. We work hard to create an atmosphere that is high on trust, honesty, accountability, commitment and fun! Some additional perks of the role:
- Staff Discounts on Brosa products
- Opportunity to work in one of the fastest-growing companies in Australia
- Weekly TED-style talks that encourage collaboration and growth amongst team members
We believe diversity is critical to our success. We will not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.