Nomad Atomics is on a mission to make the broad uptake of quantum sensing a reality and simultaneously push the limits of our field beyond what we think is possible. We are building the world’s most advanced fit-for-purpose quantum sensors to allow us to see the world like never before.
Our team is made up of leaders in the quantum sensing field. We believe the time for commercial quantum sensing has come, and we are determined with making it happen.
We are growing here at Nomad Atomics – FAST. We are searching for people who want to finally take the commercial sensing game into the modern era of technology.
Who you are
You are a voracious learner, and you love building things. You do not shy away from taking on the impossible. You apply these principles to all parts of science and engineering and are excited to operate at the forefront of technology development. You are an expert in your field and are ready to jump headfirst into the strange world of quantum sensing.
It’s ok if you don’t have all the skills yet to build a quantum sensor, because you want to work with a global team of experts to fill in the gaps. You may have come from a large corporation or be fresh out of university but the idea of working in a fast-paced, highly iterative, and integrated team is exciting.
Working hand in hand with the co-founders, you’ll be responsible for the development of our integrated optical systems including ruggedized free-space and fibre optical hardware. This is an exceptionally hands-on role requiring a broad skill set, including component selection and design, small scale production, testing and quality control, and supply chain management. (These things are being used in the field, and we are moving fast.)
You will be responsible for and deeply embedded in the end-to-end development and deployment of our sensors and will be engaged daily in tasks like:
- Free-space optical system design and implementation (OpticStudio)
- Fibre optical system design and implementation
- SM and PM fibre splicing and PER optimization
- Laser characterization (PER, Mode, Linewidths, etc)
- Optoelectronics integration, characterization and control
- Assisting in the mechanical design of integrated laser systems for field deployment
- Locking and stabilization of laser frequency and phase
- Integrating custom laser solutions with quantum sensors
It’s not about specifically where you have come from nor what qualifications you have. What truly matters is that you are an impossibly fast learner. The types of things people applying for this role have done prior to Nomad are things like:
- M.Sc or Ph.D in optical engineering, optical or atomic physics, or related field
- Fibre fusion splicing
- Experienced in free-space optical alignment
- Experienced in fibre optic optical alignment for low PER applications
- Experience with semiconductor lasers, amplifiers, and fibre-based lasers and amplifiers
- Ideally, have worked with micro-optics and integrated photonics
- Ideally, experience with metrology and/or atom interferometry
- Experience with optical design software (Zemax)
- Experience with mechanical design software (Solidworks)
- Accustomed to managing and working with multidisciplinary teams
If you think you’re right for the role, but don’t have some of these skills, reach out – we’d love to talk anyway.
The role is full-time and based in Melbourne, Australia.
We have the flexibility to work from home from time to time, but mostly it’s getting your hands dirty in our shiny labs.
We offer a competitive salary, employee share option package and opportunities for professional growth and advancement.