At Gridcognition we are on a mission. An environmental mission to help organizations transition to a decentralized and decarbonized energy future.
We are energy natives, and the future of energy is complex. Gridcognition leans into this complexity and provides holistic software to plan, track, and optimize the clean energy transition.
We are now seeking a Software Engineer with a Backend Services focus.
Skills and experience
- Full-stack software development (e.g., 2-3yrs experience or equivalent)
- Strong software engineering and system design skills and experience
- Experience with our technology environment, including AWS and GraphQL (see below)
Nice to have
- Python programming experience
- Energy industry experience or interest
The core Gridcognition web application—which prepares and shows simulations—is built in React, in TypeScript, using functional components and the Material UI library. We use AWS’ fairly standard well-lit path with GraphQL backed by TypeScript lambdas to update our data model in DynamoDB and S3. Our data pipelines are built in Python 3 and run as long-lived tasks on AWS, via Batch and Fargate.
All our AWS deploys are done via the Serverless framework. Gridcognition has a healthy culture of code review, testing, and staged rollouts. We use GitHub and use GitHub Actions for CI/CD, plus a small number of other SaaS products to be productive (e.g., CloudWatch and Sentry). Familiarity with the above is great, but not essential. We’re a small team and will look to fit your background to our stack.
We are a remote-first business, and this role is open to candidates anywhere in Australia. The Software Engineering team is currently split between Perth, Sydney and Melbourne.
All staff work from their home office and we provide opportunities for weekly in-person collaboration at co-working spaces, and regular team retreats.
We will offer a competitive salary and the opportunity to participate in our employee share scheme.
Our work environment and benefits include:
- Join a high performing team; we’re unapologetic energy nerds and tech nerds, moving fast to tackle big problems
- Design your setup; create your ideal remote workspace with cash you are free to spend how you want
- Freedom & flexibility; our high-trust distributed team gives you the freedom to work how you are most productive
- Good energy; use your powers for good and help us accelerate the decarbonisation of the worlds energy system
- Creative problem solving; Follow your curiosity and work in an environment where you can bring your ideas to life
- Learn and grow; With support for your ongoing professional development