Senior Robotics Engineer
Our mission is to create innovative AI and robotics solutions, removing the need to put people at risk in dangerous jobs. From deep-sea rovers to our recent Moon to Mars Australian Government grant, and emerging technology in Agriculture, there is no challenge that Abyss will shy away from. A global team collaborating across Australia, America and Pakistan consist of passionate problem solvers who love working on cutting edge technology while maintaining focus on environmental impact, safety, and cost.
You’ll get to work on complex challenges with a team of experts in machine learning, robotics, data processing and software engineering.
Abyss is seeking a highly motivated Senior Robotics Engineer with expertise in sensing and robotic fundamentals, algorithms, and skills. As a member of the robotics department, you will play a key role in applying your technical knowledge to lead development initiatives. You will work with an agile team in a collaborative workspace to develop software algorithms and sensing techniques that will deliver state of the art inspection solutions. You will be responsible for the quality of processing algorithms and enable autonomous data capture by building and testing prototypes. Additionally, you will support technical teams using the solutions developed.
The successful candidate will possess strong leadership qualities, effective communication and organizational skills, and experience in project management. You will be passionate about leading development initiatives, thrive in a team-oriented environment, and enjoy hands-on projects that challenge their skills.
About the Job
- Design, prototype and develop sensing and robotic solutions to meet product and technology objectives of inspections at scale
- Undertake investigations involving new robotic and sensing technologies
- Leading software and processing algorithm development while being responsible for best practices and taking ownership of non-functional requirements
- Support technical teams by providing advice and developing models, tools, processes etc. to streamline the business
- Communicate effectively with the relevant stakeholders, leadership and clients
- Help drive continuous improvement within the engineering team
- Stay in touch with the relevant state-of-the-art and commercial markets, and make recommendations on future R&D initiatives and roadmap direction
- Contribute technically and otherwise to the company’s internal education and training programs
Skills and Requirements
- Bachelor of Engineering, Major (Mechatronics / Electrical or otherwise relevant)
- 5-10 years of relevant experience
- In-depth knowledge of, and hands on experience with sensing technologies including visual and laser. Experience with sonar is desirable
- Experience using localisation and mapping algorithms using a variety of sensors
- Experience using ROS and Gazebo
- Hardware integration skills including knowledge of system integration of various sensors and computes
- Practical Mindset (basic use of tools, WHS) to help with integrating/testing
- Project management
- Agile methodologies
- Teamwork / Leadership
- Time Management
- Masters or higher education in relevant areas is highly beneficial
- Underwater Robotics
- Field experience
- 3D CAD modeling
- Electrical skills (soldering, cabling, circuit debugging)
What’s in it for you
- Flexible work arrangements - each team decides what works for them from location to hours and we will support you with your remote work setup
- Be empowered to get your work done through a lightweight Agile approach, access to end customers and ability to drive decisions around technology use
- Culture of innovation, continuous learning and improvement for the products we build as well as team and company-wide processes
- Quarterly hackathons where groups form to come up with ideas and test solutions for difficult or interesting problems
- Work closely with industry leaders working on problems without existing solutions
- Vibrant workplace setting in central Sydney Tech Hub near central station. Alternative office location also accessible near Olympic Village.
- Opportunity to transition into other technical specialties within the company
- Opportunity to work at or travel between our various office locations
- Competitive benefits scheme such as market leading parental leave policies, charity donation/matching policy, volunteering day leave.
- Abyss offers flexible work arrangements, including remote working.
- Offices in Sydney CBD Tech Central hub and also in Homebush Business Village.
How To Apply
If you have the required skills and are an Australian citizen or permanent resident who is entitled to work in Australia, we would love to hear from you by applying here:
Please note that this vacancy is in AUSTRALIA, other international applicants cannot be considered at this time!
You can see other positions available at Abyss here:
Abyss is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.