Nomad Atomics is on a mission to make the broad uptake of quantum sensing a reality and simultaneously push the limits of our field beyond what we think is possible. We are building the world’s most advanced fit-for-purpose quantum sensors to allow us to see the world like never before.
Our team is made up of leaders in the quantum sensing field. We believe the time for commercial quantum sensing has come, and we are determined with making it happen.
We are growing here at Nomad Atomics – FAST. We are searching for people who want to finally take the commercial sensing game into the modern era of technology.
Who you are
You are a voracious learner, and you love building things. You do not shy away from taking on the impossible. You apply these principles to all parts of science and engineering and are excited to operate at the forefront of technology development. You are an expert in your field and are ready to jump head first into the strange world of quantum sensing.
It’s ok if you don’t have all the skills yet to build a quantum sensor, because you want to work with a global team of experts to fill in the gaps. You may have come from a large corporation or be fresh out of university but the idea of working in a fast-paced, highly iterative, and integrated team is exciting.
Working hand in hand with the development team, you’ll be responsible for fabrication and assembly of the complex mechanical systems that build our quantum sensors. These things are being used in the field, and we are moving fast. With this role you will have the opportunity to build Nomad’s prototyping and manufacturing workshop from the ground up. This is an exceptionally hands-on role requiring a broad skill set, including:
- Working closely with engineers and scientists to develop and manufacture high-precision components
- Operate and program CNC machines to fabricate complex precision parts and assemblies
- Operate manual machines (lathes, mills, etc.) to fabricate complex precision parts and assemblies
- Perform precision machining and assembly of parts to tight tolerances
- Troubleshoot and resolve mechanical issues with existing equipment
- Test and quality control components and mechanical assemblies
- Participate in design reviews and provide feedback to the engineering team
- Provide guidance and mentorship to junior engineers, machinist, and technicians
- Maintain a safe and organized work environment
It’s not about specifically where you have come from nor what qualifications you have. What truly matters is that you are an impossibly fast learner. The types of things people applying for this role have done prior to Nomad are things like:
- Ideally, B.Sc in mechanical engineering or related field but not required
- Trade qualified machinist
- Experience machining various materials including aluminium, stainless steel, copper, titanium, ceramics, fiberglass, etc.
- Proficiency in programming and operating CNC machines
- Experience with various machining processes such as milling, turning, grinding, and polishing
- Experience aluminium welding, soldering and brazing is a plus
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work to tight tolerances
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills
- Ideally, 4+ years of experience in precision machining and assembly
If you think you’re right for the role, but don’t have some of these skills, reach out – we’d love to talk anyway.
The role is full-time and based in Melbourne, Australia.
We have the flexibility to work from home from time to time, but mostly it’s getting your hands dirty in our shiny new facilities.
We offer a competitive salary, employee share option package and opportunities for professional growth and advancement.