Nomad Atomics is on a mission to make the broad uptake of quantum sensing a reality and simultaneously push the limits of our field beyond what we think is possible. We are building the world’s most advanced fit-for-purpose quantum sensors to allow us to see the world like never before.
Our team is made up of leaders in the quantum sensing field. We believe the time for commercial quantum sensing has come, and we are determined with making it happen.
We are growing here at Nomad Atomics – FAST. We are searching for people who want to finally take the commercial sensing game into the modern era of technology.
Who you are
You are a voracious learner, and you love building things. You do not shy away from taking on the impossible. You apply these principles to all parts of engineering and are excited to operate at the forefront of technology development. You may have come from a large corporation or be fresh out of university but the idea of working in a fast-paced, highly iterative, and integrated team is exciting.
Working across a cross-functional team, you’ll be responsible for embedded software development at Nomad Atomics. This role requires a broad skill set, including building up embedded Linux systems, control software and user interface components used in our quantum sensors. (These things are being used in the field, and we are moving fast.)
You will be responsible for and deeply embedded in the end-to-end development and deployment of our sensors and will be engaged daily in tasks like:
- Design, develop, and optimize embedded software solutions for our quantum sensors, with a focus on embedded Linux operating systems and Python firmware
- Own and shape the entire software stack, from custom kernel development to dashboards/UI, ensuring seamless integration and functionality
- Collaborate with a cross-functional team, including hardware engineers and atomic physicists to define requirements and specifications
- Conduct thorough testing and debugging of embedded systems with the rest of the team to ensure reliability, performance, and security
- Implement software development best practices, including version control, code reviews, and documentation
It’s not about specifically where you have come from nor what qualifications you have. What truly matters is that you are an impossibly fast learner. The types of things people applying for this role have done prior to Nomad are:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or a related field. (Master's degree preferred
- 3+ years of experience in embedded software development, with a focus on Linux OS
- Strong proficiency in Python for firmware development
- Familiarity with embedded UI design and implementation
- Knowledge of communication protocols such as UART, SPI, I2C, Ethernet
- Familiarity with Xilinx system-on-chip (SoC) and FPGA platforms is preferred
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills, with the ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Strong communication skills to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams
- Ability to acquire within a reasonable timeframe the appropriate Australian government security clearance level
If you think you’re right for the role, but don’t have some of these skills, reach out – we’d love to talk anyway.
The role is full-time and based in Melbourne, Australia.
We have the flexibility to work from home from time to time, but in-person interaction with our tech team will be essential.
We offer a competitive salary, employee share option package and opportunities for professional growth and advancement.